Changes

It's almost surreal to think about my journey in the past 3 months, not mentioning the past 3 years. I realized that I've got to the point where I'm in the middle of two stages: to be thrilled for new things and to be tired of major changes.
I was living well, so well: I had a decent job, good saving account ability (thanks to Singapore's tax system), good healthcare, convenience to fly home once every two months, or to travel around once every bit, with business class and all the expenses covered. If anybody told me that I would have these much of privileges during my mid-20s, I would tell them it's crazy. 

Yet, here I am, back to the States, to the expensive city and so many overrated things in life; and I just noticed that I've made quite a journey to realize what I want. I want to be surrounded my people who can bring me great motivation and energy, and I want to feel productive, as learning something new and overcoming challenges. I know I had been planning to come back for a while, yet when it became true, I still couldn't really believe it. Some closed friends of mine were still surprised that I was able to make it through. And that I'm not a student anymore, not young anymore, if I keep moving around, when would I become "stable"? 
I want stable, of course! But I have to be stable financially as well as emotionally. Singapore did me a great favor, that I would never ever forget, and that it was part of me, because I found myself again when going through ups and downs in Singapore. 

Deep down I think San Francisco is always a good idea, but I was nervous still. There is so many uncertainties when living far away from home, from family. But then you realize that all the fears can perceive differently, it can turn into excitement. And I decide to feel excited instead of being nervous. 

I'm a big believer in positive energy and things happen for a reason, but you need to step up to follow your heart. 
And it reminded me the speech that Steve Jobs made at Stanford commencement back then. If you haven't watched it, don't go anywhere and watch it here:

If I look back now, so many dots I can connect that take me where I am right now, and the person I have become at the moment. It's not the most important thing yet, we need to have a belief that the dots will connect afterwards, and that you would have courage to follow your unexpected ideas. 

Let's wrap it with his quote (I am SO looking forward for the holidays coming up, and next year): 
"You can’t connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something – your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. Because believing that the dots will connect down the road will give you the confidence to follow your heart even when it leads you off the well worn path; and that will make all the difference."
San Francisco, Winter' 19

Comments

Popular Posts